Sunday, September 13, 2009

Slow Mo

So, last weeks 15K didn't go to well.  I felt great up until mile 7 and then the heat and humidity really got to me.  I felt like I was running in sand and not going anywhere, but I trucked along in my sweaty glory until I reached mile 8 and then it just got worse.  I was starting to get goose bumps (sign of dehydration) so I took a brief walk to get some water and gatorade.  During this time, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to take a hit off my inhaler--which I did and all was well.  So, I start jogging again and probably made it a quarter mile or so only to realize that I no longer have my inhaler.  Great . . .now what should I do.  I'm not really having any trouble breathing, so I could leave it behind. . . but then, it is pretty new and it would take at least 2 days to get a new one and it cost $30 dollars. . . so, ugh. . .I guess I'll turn around and see if I can find it.  So I start running away from the finish (this is a mental beat down) and ask some people (heading toward the finish) if they've seen an inhaler on the ground.  Luckily a man (not a nice one or he would have picked it up) said he saw it about a quarter mile back or so.  To make a long story short, I finished.  It just took me a lot longer than planned and I felt like poop doing it.  This was probably the worst race I've ever ran. 

But on a happier note, my friends did really well.  Ester got 3rd in our age group (Female 25-29), Amy got 12th, and I got 25th.

So, I took the past weekend off from racing and will try my luck again this upcoming weeked at the Tour des Fleurs. I'm running the 20K so it'll be slow and steady.  The race starts at the Dallas Aboretum and it goes around White Rock Lake.  I did the 10K last year and had a good time so this year should be fun, plus the Aboretum is really pretty this time of year. 

Nothing else too exciting going on.  Dallas Cowboys won and it rained all weekend!!  Couldn't ask for much more.

3 comments:

April said...

Oh no! You'll do better at the next one. Thanks for seeing the movie with me!! LOVED IT!

EstherRD said...

We will have a great race this weekend and if nothing else, we will get to spend some time in a pretty environment!!! ;-)
You can do it girl! Way to go.

Mandi Mitchell said...

Hi Kimee, I'm proud of you for your usual perseverance! Always an inspiration to us walkers!